11 February 2009

The Belated and Truncated Obligatory Anti-Valentines Post.

This is not going to be some anti-love diatribe or an anti-materialist/consumer culture rant. (I think love is pretty kick-ass and everyone already knows all about the materialistic bullshit that comes with the day). It's also not going to be about how it's a day designed entirely around making you feel inadequate- either for the fact that you are single, or that you're not romantic enough.

It will be Anti-Valentines though, as I have found something new to hate about it. The existence of this holiday alone is bad enough, but this year I find myself more than a little annoyed by it's pervasiveness.  I don't remember Valentines day ever being this widespread before.  Everything all of a sudden seems pinker and more heart-shaped and glittery-er.  Restaurants all have their valentines specials on boards outside, and the newspaper is advertising obscenely expensive holiday messages- because nothing says "I love you" more than a spot in the classifieds.  There's pages in the paper of 'special advertising' printed in black and red; I never knew there were so many lingerie stores in the immediate area.  

Fuck the sentiment and the candy chariot pulled by bunches of roses it rode in on.

No comments:

Post a Comment