13 April 2011

This year for me, is about experiences, about doing something worthwhile.  Finding what drives me, where I'm going, and enjoying myself along the way. 


Lately cycling has taken on a bigger role in my life.  From training for a century ride, to an ever-widening circle of 2-wheel-devoted friends, to gas prices hovering at 4 dollars a gallon, bikes matter more now than ever before.  

I love my Specialized road bike.  She's pretty. light, and fast, everything I want her to be.  With the edition of Light Action Speedplay Pedals and cycling shoes, she's all I could ask for in an entry-level road bike. She's great for starting at Point A and riding a loop (whether it be 5 miles or 40, or more) and coming right back to A again.  She's not exactly suited to going from Point A to Point B and being locked up to a pole for a few hours.

This is where my pack-rat family, a bit of elbow grease, the very helpful people at the bike store, and the internet come in. 

In my house we almost never throw anything out.  We're not dirty, nor are we by nature messy, but we keep stuff.  Every set of Legos I ever owned?  In their original boxes in the basement.  Father's Day cards I gave my Dad when I was 6?  In his nightstand.  China from both my grandmothers?  In the basement.  You get the idea.  If it a.) Might be worth something (we plan to sell it), or b.) Might be needed some day or c.) Has sentimental value, we keep it.    

Well, sometimes we do find a use for some of the stuff we hold on to.  In this case, a 35 year old Panasonic Sport Deluxe road bike.

Meet Akemi:





She's a little rough around the edges right now but with a little elbow grease and some TLC she'll be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment