27 April 2011

Steel is Real

2 weeks of rain hasn't left me with much time to spend outside working on Akemi.  I've managed a few hours here and there but no major leaps forward.  This is in part because my attitude towards this project has changed. 

Initially, I was looking for a 'beater' city bike.  Something functional, inexpensive (nee cheap), and sturdy, to be left locked up outside the Old Beer Garden or the Brooklyn Brewery.  I laid out my plan- tires/tubes, grip tape, quick tune-up, u-lock, done.  After a few hours working on her though, and noting considerable potential for cosmetic improvements, I realized that I didn't have a beater bike on my hands, I've got a gorgeous vintage bicycle. 

So my quick fix has turned into a labor of love. 

Akemi's Pedals- straight off the bike

Old.  Good as new.

It took me an hour and a half of chrome polish, degreaser, soap, water, and a toothbrush to get both pedals to something resembling clean.  There's still some grit trapped in the right pedal, which will probably require a bit more time to clear out.  It's amazing how well the grease held up over 35 years- despite the grit and dirt it trapped between the bearings.  The plastic reflectors- on the bike as a whole- are surprisingly in perfect condition. 

I'm at the point now that I need a nice day, several hours, and the buffing head on my Dremel tool to tackle the rust on the wheels.  This weekend is already spoken for though since I'll be spending Saturday at the New Amsterdam Bike Show.  Hopefully it won't give me too many 'good' ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment